Saturday, November 3, 2007

Cooking for kids


Miss T.'s mom and I have been taking the book Deceptively Delicious for a test drive. I have to say that so far we have been pleasantly surprised. The main idea is not rocket science, it mainly involves using vegetable purees to enhance the health quotient of some kiddie staples so as to avoid the fight to get them to eat their veges straight.

I have done similar by incorporating extra veges into sauces and such but this book had a few great ideas for other combinations I hadn't thought of yet. Who knew cauliflower was so versatile? I personally have done a little tweaking to the pancake recipe, kicking up the spices, and have been enjoying it at home with my hubby as Pumpkin "pie" pancakes. Yum!

The only tip I can really add to this idea is to make sure to take the time to get the purees extra smooth. I have been using the water from steaming the veges for this by adding a tablespoon at a time until they get to a very creamy consistency.

Mrs. Seinfeld's tip on making a couple purees at a time at the beginning of the week is helpful too. Personally I'd stock up on the canned pumpkin purees while they are on sale at this time of year. You'd be amazed what they can be added to that will get gobbled up with kids none the wiser.

My only exceptions to the recipes are the use of lowfat fake foods and margarine. I use the real thing and tweak slightly to compensate. Otherwise I think kids and adults alike could benefit from the addition of extra veg to our everyday food.

Ricotta Banana Pancakes (adapted from the Cottage cheese apple pancakes in the Moosewood Cookbook)

In a bowl, food processor, or blender mix together:
  • 1 cup flour (unbleached all-purpose or 1/2 whole wheat or spelt)
  • 1 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tbs. pure maple syrup or honey or other natural sweetener
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese or small curd cottage cheese
  • 2 bananas, ripe and well mashed (or frozen then defrosted for 10 minutes in a bowl of water, when you snip off one end you can easily slip the banana out of its peal right into your bowl and it will be very soft, almost liquidy, and ready to use)
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • a dash of cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup of milk (more or less- check as you mix or blend, it should be pourable but not too runny)
Cook until browned on a hot griddle coated with a small amount of butter or vegetable oil just like regular pancakes, except these are slightly more delicate. They are truly dreamy, melt in your mouth consistency. No need for butter on top and very little syrup on top will do. Perfect with my homemade turkey sausage patties (I will post this recipe sometime soon!) or a fruit cup. Serves 2 very hungry people who love to eat, or 3-4 normal people.

1 comment:

Creative Life Studio said...

My mom called me when this author was on Oprah, saying that she thought I would really like this book. I agreed and said I'd already used ideas like that with my girls from time to time. Some of the recipes sounded really good, though, so I'll likely try to check this one out at the library.