Thursday, September 13, 2007

False Starts

I don't think Miss T. has a grasp yet on what this school stuff is supposed to be. Today was another day of refusing to even enter the classroom. We sat out in the hall a while. It was three of us: Miss T., her mommy, and I. Miss T. ran back and forth down the hall a while peering into the classroom but each time decided she'd rather stay in the hall. After about 20 minutes of this the Miss T. was given the choice to go into class or go home. She wanted to stay in the hall which eventually amounted to going home.

I have mixed feeling on the whole thing. I think she is too young, especially to have this kind of decision on her hands. She is independent at home within the safe watch of her parents or myself and loves doing many of the same things she would be doing at the school at this point. I personally plan to homeschool once I am blessed with little ones so my input here is pretty negligible. However, I think even if I was going to have my children trained by a school I would not send them so young that they have no way of comprehending what is going on. On the other hand many parents would believe my decision to homeschool to be overprotective and try to get their children in school and "socialized" as early as possible.

Her school directress told us that even if Miss T. goes in for as little as 15 minutes a day eventually her interest will grow and she will become more capable for classwork, gradually moving into it for the full schedule. We will see in the coming weeks if we can first work up to the fifteen minutes.

1 comment:

Sadie said...

Hello Nanny Y,
What a lovely blog you have! I was a nanny in college, and have thought about a return to nannying if my husband and I move overseas. You are right being 2 1/2 is very young to be making a decision about school. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

~Sadie